Monday, July 6, 2015

Squash Blossom Fritters





My zucchini is in full bloom. Sprays of yellow greet me every morning. Some flowers are attached to burgeoning squash, whilst other blooms wait to be stuffed and fried. At least, that is the imagined thought. A few years ago I spent an arm and a leg on squash blossoms at Whole Foods. Now four healthy plants give me immense satisfaction. 

I send Shauna, Geets and Nikita a flowery picture in anticipation of their visit. Prompt replies come from the first two. Nikita says "what's that?" She is now visiting and I am determined to make some for her. I pick a bunch of flowers in the morning. They close up by afternoon. I make a batter with eggs, flour and white wine. I stuff the flowers with goat cheese and sourdough. Then it's fry time.


SQUASH BLOSSOM FRITTERS
Serves 5-6

10 Squash Blossoms, preferably with stems
1/2 cup Goat Cheese
1 slice Sourdough Bread
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper 
1 Egg
1/4 cup Flour
1/4 cup White Wine
1 cup Canola Oil


Break egg into a bowl and whisk well.

Add flour and white wine to egg and whisk till there are no lumps in the batter.




Wipe flowers. Make sure there are no ants inside the blossoms. 

Mash goat cheese till fairly smooth.

Trim crusts from bread slice and cut into 1/4 inch cubes.  Dampen then with a little water and mash into goat cheese.

Season goat cheese with salt and pepper. 




Divide cheese into 10 portions. Roll each portion into an oblong shape. 

Open squash blossoms and carefully stuff with goat cheese portion. 








Heat oil in a wok or frying pan on a high flame. Test oil with a drop of batter. It should sizzle and rise tothe surface immediately.

Hold squash blossom stem, dip blossom in batter and gently drop it into hot oil. 





Fry till brown and then flip fritter over and fry the other side for a few minutes.








Eat fritters warm.



I know now that a plateful of fritters will not appease the hungry and the uninitiated!!! This is the perfect finger food, crunchy, savory, gone in two bites. Nikita enjoys her first stuffed blossom. Then another and another. I'm happy she enjoys the bounty from my garden. Delicious, these blossoms take a little effort. If you think otherwise, squash that thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment