Sunday, July 26, 2015

Pan Fried Potatoes in Duck Fat





I get my summer wish..sitting outside, a glass of red in hand, cool breezes wafting over us and the smell of steak grilling. I take every pleasant evening as a gift, transferring cutlery and crockery to my outdoor table. Food just tastes different outside. Better. More flavorful.

G stars the grill and seasons a porterhouse. And what goes best with steak? Potatoes of course. It's usually a mash or sautéed chunks in butter. But today feels special. I boil some small Yukon Golds. I reach into the depths of the fridge to uncover a container of duck fat. It sits waiting for occasions like this. Heaping tablespoons go into a flaming hot cast iron pan, along with boiled and halved potatoes. Try to source out duck fat. A little goes a long way in taste. In the time it takes for steak to be cooked, the potatoes are done.


PAN FRIED POTATOES IN DUCK FAT
Serves 2


10 small Yukon Gold Potatoes 
3 tablespoons Duck Fat
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked Black Pepper

Wash potatoes. Put them in a pot and cover with water. Boil 10-12 minutes till done. Drain and cool. Cut them in half or quarters. The more surface area, the crustier the potato.

Heat a cast iron pan over high heat till really hot.

Drop spoonfuls of duck fat into pan and let it heat up for a few seconds.

Add potatoes to hot fat and let them sizzle and brown.




Season with salt and pepper.

Fry potatoes uncovered, turning them often till they are deep brown and crusty.





Eat them right out of the pan or plate them with steak!





NOTES

Duck fat keeps very well in the fridge. 




Simplicity personified, these potatoes are addictive as hell! I start my feast from the pan. Grillsmoke tells me steak and shishito peppers are ready. Steak rests as I finish frying potatoes. On to the platter and into potato heaven we go! These buttery Golds are a mouthful of crispy softness. Try these at least once. And once eaten I'm sure you will go back to that special place often.





No comments:

Post a Comment