Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Herbed Clam Chowder





The ensuing cold front begs for a bowl of steaming soup. My palate says clam chowder, in spite of not having briny mollusks. The craving persists, so I cheat. Most often I use fresh clams, opened up in some water, over a medium flame. I like that this way gives me clams and broth. Do use this method if you have the right stuff.  This time a small can of minced clams has to suffice. I love that fresh from the sea taste, so these turn out to be a not so right substitute. And yet I do not demur. Resolutely, I open the can and I am accosted by a hint of the sea. 

Onions saute in olive oil. A fistful of frozen corn hangs out happily with the onions. A small diced potato gives the soup body. Milk and clam juice froth and bubble. Sprigs of thyme, parsley leaves and lot of chives comprise my herb mixture. The just snipped herbs add another layer of freshness to the soup. The kitchen windows fog up and the watched pot boils steadily.


HERBED CLAM CHOWDER
Serves 2 big soup bowls or 4 small cups
GF, WF, EF

1 small Onion
1/2 cup frozen Corn
1 small Potato
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 small can minced Clams
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
4 sprigs Thyme
1/4 cup Parsley
3 tablespoons chopped Chives


Peel and chop onion into small dice.

Wash and cut potato into 1/4 inch cubes.

Heat oil in a Dutch oven.

Add onions and corn and let then saute for 3-4 minutes.




Add potatoes.

Open can of clams and add contents to veggies.








Add milk to soup along with salt and pepper. Stir well and let soup come to a slow simmer.

Simmer soup for 10-15 minutes till potatoes are done.




Strip thyme leaves off stalks and add to soup.

Roughly chop parsley and add to soup.

Chives go into soup too.




Let soup bubble for a few minutes,stir well, then serve steaming hot.






My mouths salivates as I ladle a bowlful of soup, flecked with green. I think shortcut style clam chowder isn't so bad. I can taste the sea, chewy clams, creamy potatoes, crunchy corn and fresh bite of herbs. Satisfaction is bowl of hot soup and a rather large spoon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment